Saturday, July 19, 2008

Tagging, Folksonomies, and Del.icio.us

I have been tagging with Library Thing. My problem with tagging is that when I began I was random in my tags. Sometimes things were capitalized, sometimes not (sometimes mystery fiction, sometimes Mystery, sometimes lawyer, sometimes attorney). I just wanted to jump on and try it out. While some people may think that that's a valuable quirk, it would be of more value to me if I had given it more thought.
Re Del.icio.us: I am trying to come up with some sort of a mental device to remember where those periods are. I liked the search option and checking out favorite bookmarks. I could spend a lot of time here. I agree with those who have said they have signed up for so many things and hesitate to do one more. I also do not want to have to download a toolbar.
Del.icio.us is really a personal 'Recommended Sites' that links to huge community of contributors. A branch account would allow staff to organize and contribute to bookmarks. With several people contributing, there should be some thought given to tagging/organization. I can see a branch bookmarking sites for programming, crafts, marketing, summer reading. etc.

2 comments:

  1. My LibraryThing tags are pretty random also, and I too, have trouble remembering where to put the periods in delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NCO sort of has a branch del.icio.us account, but I'm not sure they use it.

    ReplyDelete